Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Favorite Read

I had a lot of fun with this section, I have to say. I wish I had been more talkative but overall it has been a fun time. Looking more into The Hunger Artist, reading more of James Joyces work, writing about Raymond Carver (A writer whose work I quite enjoy) and managed to look into new things I've never heard of. Possibly the best little excursion for me, however, had been with Hills Like White Elephants from Ernest Hemingway - mainly because this is my first time reading his work before, as much as I'm embarrassed to say. Despite, it had given me a lot of interest into the author and I honestly will probably pick up a collection of his stories when I get the time. Maybe it's because it reminded me quite a lot of Carver (Carver was considered by some the next Hemingway so it makes sense) but it solidified the fact that I enjoy stories with depth to them. With enough minimalism that it forces you to think. Stories that, I suppose you could say, are make like an iceberg with the conflict hidden five-sixths beneath the story itself make for very fun mental exploration and it makes researching it to find different understandings of it far more fun than the science fiction I had been reading only about two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment