Sunday, May 1, 2011

What I Talk about When I Talk About Poetry

It hasn't been too long since I too felt poetry to be in some lofty domain above me. Shown only joking poems and Shakespeare poems themselves were always a strange beast for me that I never wanted to understand - I was always more one for prose - but my Creative Writing class last semester changed that for me. After my class with Adrian Rice I began to see the potential and the tremendous wit and skill within poetry and since then I've eaten up all the collections of poetry I've gotten my hands on (which sadly isn't many books).
The collection of highly toned wording to portray an idea or an image while still remaining lyrical is a skill that I see for even poets takes incredibly long amounts of time and I admire the respect that amount of thought and attention being brought to their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment